Monday, October 6, 2008

Audi vs Hyundai and 4'x4' stone pillar...

Audi for the win!

...almost

So I was turning into the driveway last Wednesday. I slowed down and turned on my signal. I looked in the rear-view and a kid in a Hyundai was coming up behind me. He was looking down at something interesting in his lap.

The boy was most likely texting.

He didn't even slow down.

That little Hyundai plowed into the back of me at about 35 MPH and sent me spinning into the 4ft by 4ft stone pillar by the entrance to my driveway.

The stone pillar is now cracked throughout and laying on its side. Every single bag went off in the little Hyundai. It'll be going to Hyundai Heaven soon.

I was unscathed, and the Audi was able to limp away from the scene. A very strained "didn't hurt!" was all it said as I started it up.

The kid had just gotten his license and he was all worried. "I'm going to be in sooo much trouble." His mom and cute little 15 year old girlfriend came by for support.

I now have to sit and wait on State Farm to get their shit together and actually look at the car. They got me into a rental the next day, which was nice, but I'm sitting here in limbo wondering whether or not I should be looking at new cars.

If the Audi isn't a total loss at this point, I don't know what is. The frame is bent at the B pillar, which is between the front driver's door and the back door. The rocker (the frame member below the door,) is bent in at least 4 inches. Bent frame member = never drive straight again. Even if they manage to fix it for less that half the value of the car, it'll never be safe enough for me to want to drive it again.

My girlfriend's dad is an insurance adjuster. He ball parked it at the very least $12K in damage. If they decide to fix it, it will be worthless. I won't be able to trade it or sell it with any sense of a clear conscience. A quick carfax report will render the vehicle unsellable.

Luckily I know a lawyer or three... I just have to sit here and wait for them to throw the first low-ball pitch before I storm the mound.

3 comments:

tanyaa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

1) What happened with the post above mine?

2) Has this been any further resolved?

Poobis said...

1) The above post was spam that keyed off the word "Audi."

2) Not as of yet. The shop *still* hasn't started work on the car, (they're busy.)

I've talked to a friend who's an insurance adjuster for another company. He thinks that they've got a figure or two mixed up. I'm going to call them today or tomorrow to make sure they've not mistyped and made the vehicle worth 50K. If not, I'll ask what'll happen to the
"total out" equasion if I can include my chiropractor bills.

:-)

Not that I have any or would claim any, just want some leverage.